At Nevertheless She, we champion women’s voices and female creativity, and as a result, the women rather outnumber the men on our team. So next in our trio of performers in THE PEOPLE’S ROCK is our only male actor, the brilliant John McEwan-Whyte, who plays Seth, a young man caught in a world of responsibility, and who also voices/puppeteers the man who started the story, The Rock, or to be more precise, The Fairy Rock Mother (go see the show, it’ll make sense).
John is most known for his role as Blackheath Champion in the Scottish Bafta-winning film TOMMY’S HONOUR, and he features regularly on TV, with roles in RIVERCITY and M.I.HIGH, but also enjoys performing on the stage, notably as Curly in the Cecilian’s production of OKLAHOMA. Alongside acting, John writes and produces his own material, recently receiving positive reviews for his show BRITISH. John completed a contemporary drama course at RADA, and has recently become a member of the prestigious Unseen School, under the tutelage of Screen International Star of Tomorrow Arjun Rose. As if that wasn’t enough, John is a qualified boxing coach, coming third at the SUABC, has an honours degree in Physics and is a musician, performing on the first Monday of every month at The Junction, Camberwell.
We asked John a few questions about his puppet alter ego and his deepest secrets.
1.What’s your role in THE PEOPLE’S ROCK? I play Tee’s big brother Seth and the Fairy Rock Mother.
2. What’s your favourite musical and why? Once. The film is so moving and the stage adaptation was brilliant. The story is one I think most people can relate to because it’s simple, honest and real, and my wee soul can’t help but be stirred by the music.
3. Who’s your hero (living or deceased) and why? Albert Whyte, my grandpa, an ex-prison governor who is as gallus as they come and carries the kindest heart I have ever come across in a person. He tells me jokes that make me laugh, teaches me things that make me think, and provides me with endless whisky macs when I need a drink. (Also Idris Elba because he is just the best.)
4. Tell us a secret. I am as a proud a Scot as they come yet I have never watched Braveheart all the way through. I am disgusted in myself but it feels great to get it off my chest.
5. If you had a puppet alter ego, what would they be called and why? I actually already have a puppet alter ego called Foolish dreemer (two Es are on purpose… his decision, not mine). The name was produced from the Wutang clan name generator. He raps, and is a lot cooler than I could ever be.
6. Describe THE PEOPLE’S ROCK in 3 words. Dwayne saves us.*
7. What’s your New Year’s Resolution? Drink less fizzy drinks, write a book, and watch Braveheart.
*The writers would like to clarify, this isn’t accurate. Come to the show to find out what really happens.