In the run up to our musical theatre debut, THE PEOPLE’S ROCK, we’ve been welcoming new faces to the Nevertheless She team and asking them some essential questions to get to know them better. We thought it was only right to ask ourselves those same questions, so next up is director and contributing writer of the show, the brilliant Sophie Benefer.
Sophie is a multi-talented superstar, balancing writing, directing, and performing throughout her career. An eclectic writer, she studied screenwriting at the University of East Anglia and has written four TV pilots, two short films, an animated short and a feature film, to name but a few. Alongside her theatre work, Sophie’s background is in TV development, coming up with new ideas and creating great shows. Her own work covers all areas of drama, from post-apocalyptic wastelands to agoraphobia and coming of age stories. Sophie founded Nevertheless She in 2016 and it is thanks to her that our collective came together to create The People’s Rock, our first production.
We asked Sophie a few questions about the show and her role.
1.What’s your role in THE PEOPLE’S ROCK? I am the director for the show, as well as singing backing vocals on our lovely tracks.
2. What’s your favourite musical and why? I am torn between Hamilton (which I am super obsessed with right now) and Into the Woods. Hamilton, because its such a game changer for the industry and every song is utterly flawless, and Into the Woods has equally complex songs. I love ITW because it looks into what happens after the happily ever after in stories and how messy life can be.
3. Who’s your hero (living or deceased) and why? Have to go with my mum, such a wonderful woman.
4. Tell us a secret. When I was younger, I used to eat sprouts raw.
5. If you had a puppet alter ego, what would they be called and why? I’m so bad at names…..Cat Diva? Because I like cats and can be a diva (…in a good way).
6. Describe THE PEOPLE’S ROCK in 3 words. Passionate, Quirky and Provocative.
7. What’s your New Year’s Resolution? To get a part in Stranger Things as a rocker chick who kicks the Mind Flayer’s ass.